Parish Councillor – Protocol
Parish Councillor – Protocol
Review Date February 2020
A Councillor is part of the corporate body that makes democratic decisions on behalf of the parish electors
Responsible for - Effective leadership to foster the interests of the Parishioners, Parish and Community.
Role Purpose to – Represent the views of the Whole Community. Bring issues to the attention of the council, help make decisions on behalf of and to the benefit of the Whole Community.
• Engage, consult and listening to views of the whole community.
• Identify issues which are important to the lives of the Parishioners you represent.
• Improve the quality of life of Parishioners and environment within the community.
• Represent effectively the interests and deal with Parishioners’ enquiries, representations and complaints fairly and without prejudice.
• Represent the views of the whole community when discussing council business and working with outside bodies.
Main Responsibilities as part of the Corporate Body
• Responsibility for running local services which may include: open spaces, play areas, village halls, community schemes and potentially much more.
• Deciding on how much money to be raised through Parish Council Precept Tax in order to deliver Cost Effective Parish Council’s services.
• Promote the economic, social and environmental well-being of the Parish.
• Influencing and shaping the long term development policy for the parish, and as part of the planning process, comment on planning applications in the parish.
• Improvements through local projects, lobbying other service providers and working in partnership with other parishes and agencies.
• Keep up to date with significant developments affecting the Parish Council at local, regional and national levels.
• Represent the Parish Council on outside bodies to which the Councillor may be appointed and report back activities.
• Undertake appropriate training and development to help fulfil the requirements of the Councillor role.
• Foster team work, mentor and help fellow Parish Councillors.
Ensure the Parish Council is Managed Properly
• Prepare, Attend and Participate in Parish Council meetings.
• Actively take part in meetings and form sound judgements based on what is best for the Parishioners and Community and then abide by majority decisions.
• Maintain proper standards of behaviour and comply with the Council’s code of conduct and the seven principles which apply to the standards of conduct of those in public life which includes Councillors of Local Authorities including town and parish councils – Accountability, Honesty, Integrity, Leadership, Openness, Objectivity, Selflessness
• Participate constructively in the government of Parish Council.
• Promote measures that contribute to the Parish Council’s Vision.
• Participate fully in the formation and scrutiny of the Parish Council’s policies, budgets, strategies and service delivery including the Neighbourhood Plan.
• Participate effectively as a member of any committee or working party to which the Councillor is appointed.